My all-inclusive fee of £30 per hour is less than a third of the £100 an hour charged by The National Archives’ own research service. As a guide, an average research commission starts at three hours (i.e. £90:00).
My fee includes:
- Preliminary research to establish a proposed research strategy.
- Full research and document ordering services at The National Archives.
- J-peg images of all relevant original documents.
- Where the files have been digitised or filmed, a reasonable number of scanned paper copies of all relevant documents,plus postage & packing.
- A final report detailing my research and explaining any anomalies.
My promise is to conduct an efficient, professional search on your behalf and you are asked to pay the fee quoted in advance of any work being commenced.
This indicates your understanding that not all documents survive and the search may not produce the results you were hoping for; and what you are paying for is my research skills and time.
The PayPal option carries a 4% handling charge on the total but does allow you to pay by credit or debit card. You don’t even need a PayPal account , once we have agreed the work that I will do for you and my fee, you will receive an electronic invoice by e-mail and this will tell you how to make the payment.
By a UK current account cheque (made payable to ‘A. BOWGEN’) If you prefer to make your payment in some other way, please contact me to discuss the matter. As soon as payment has been received, I will make a start on your search.